F-2/ J-2 Dependents

F-1 and J-1 students often wish to bring their spouse and/or children to the U.S. To do so, you will need to provide documentation so that we can issue an F-2 Form I-20 or J-2 Form DS-2019 for your dependent(s).

Required documents:

  • Copy of your marriage certificate: If adding a spouse. This is your proof of relationship. The document should be in English or translated by a certified translation service. 
  • This is your proof of relationship. Copy of birth certificate: If adding a child. The document should be in English or translated by a certified translation service.  
  • Passport information/photo page: One for each dependent should be emailed to international@kutztown.edu
  • Financial supporting documents: See the Immigration Information webpage for detailed information.  

Special Note about inviting other family members: Only the spouse and unmarried minor children (under 21 years old) of an F-1 or J-1 student are eligible to enter the United States in F2/J2 dependent status. Frequently international students wish to invite their parents or other family members to the U.S. to attend graduation or for a visit. These family members may apply for a B-2 tourist visa. F-1 and J-1 students and scholars will need to write a letter of invitation for their visit to the U.S. embassy.

The Office of International Programs and Services can provide a letter verifying your immigration status

STUDYing in the U.S. 

A spouse with an F-2 visa is not allowed to study full-time in the U.S. F-2 spouses may only engage in part-time study, but not to obtain a degree. F-2 dependents that are children may only study full-time in an elementary or secondary school (kindergarten through 12th grade). 

An F-2 spouse desiring to engage in full-time study must apply for and obtain a change of non-immigrant classification to F-1 or J-1 status. Most importantly, F-2 spouses and children who wish to study for a degree at a U.S. college must change their status to F-1 before attending any classes.


Dependents of F-1 students may not apply for work authorization in the U.S., as the F-2 visa does not allow it. Dependents of J-1 students can work in the U.S. with proper authorization. This authorization can be applied for once the J-2 has entered the country by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services.

For more information regarding bringing a dependent with you to the U.S., visit the following website