Campus Services/Information

Below you will find information on additional services which will help support you in your transition to Kutztown University and throughout your stay in Pennsylvania. 

  • Driver's License

    If you want to drive a motor vehicle while studying in the U.S., you will either need to have an international driver's license, which is obtained in your home country, or a Pennsylvania State Driver's license. The international driver's license is usually only valid for one year.

    The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) oversees the issuing and maintenance of driver's licenses in Pennsylvania. You will need to take a written exam for the learner's permit and then a road skills test in a car with a PennDOT employee to get a driver's license. You must be at least 16 years old and residing/studying in the U.S. and Pennsylvania State for at least one year to apply for a learner's permit.

    Instructions for Driver’s License

    Eligibility requirements:

    • One-year presence in the U.S. remaining
    • 16 years of age or older
    • Physical Examination within 6 months of application (Doctor or provider must complete section on application - PennDOT Form 180)

    To obtain a driver's license, you will need the following:

    • PennDOT Form 180
    • A physical exam
    • Status verification letter from International Student Services
    • Passport
    • I-94
    • Visa
    • Social Security number (ITIN) or Social Security rejection letter
    • I-20
    • 2 proofs of Pennsylvania residency Driver’s License Application Process:

    Gather all documents listed above.

    • First, you will have to get a learner’s permit to practice driving in the U.S.
      • You must apply in person for the Learner’s Permit.
      • You will be required to take a written test to get it.
      • Study the Pennsylvania Driver’s Manual before you take the Permit test.
      • There is no appointment required to take the Learner’s Permit test.
    • Next, you will take a Road Skills test to get the license.
      • You must make an appointment for this test.
      • You may not drive yourself to the Driver’s License Center to take this test unless you have a licensed driver in the car with you.
      • You must provide a vehicle for this test; it is okay to take the test in someone else’s vehicle.
      • You must show valid registration and insurance as well as the accompanying driver’s unexpired license.


    Lehigh Valley Driver Center
    1710 Hoover Avenue
    Allentown, PA 18109

    Reading PennDOT Photo & Exam Center
    530 East Lancaster Avenue Shillington, PA 19607

    More information is online at

  • Taxes

    If you earn income in the U.S., taxes will be automatically withdrawn from your paycheck to meet tax obligations. In general, you will be exempt from paying Medicare or Social Security taxes. You are not exempt from paying federal, state, or local income taxes. In addition to paying taxes directly from your payroll, you must complete and submit several tax forms to the government.

    You are required to file Form 8843 with the U.S. Federal Government by June 15 every year for the prior tax year, even if you did not earn income. 

    If you earned income in the U.S. in the previous tax year, you might be required to file tax forms based on the amount of income you earned. We recommend that you always file tax forms because you might be entitled to a refund of the taxes you paid. The income tax forms are due on April 15.

    The International Student Services purchases licenses for a tax preparation software for every international student to complete their federal tax forms. You must complete their state and local tax forms on your own.

  • Health Insurance

    All international students at Kutztown University are required to carry adequate health insurance during all periods of time the student is authorized to be in the U.S. by an immigration document issued by the University.

    Healthcare is expensive in the U.S., and international students are responsible for any costs associated with their physical or mental health. Note that most health insurance plans in the U.S. do not cover all medical benefits like prescriptions, dental, and vision.

    Health insurance policies must be purchased through a company that sells insurance in the U.S.. The insurance requirements set forth by the Department of State are as follows:

    • Medical Benefits of at least $100,000 per accident or illness
    • Repatriation of Remains in the amount of $25,000
    • Expenses associated with the medical evacuation of the exchange visitor to his or her home country in the amount of $50,000
    • A deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness

    Important Insurance Terms:

    • Deductible: The amount you pay for covered health care services before your insurance plan starts to pay.
    • Copay: A copayment or copay is a fixed amount for a covered service, paid by a patient to the provider of service before receiving the service.
    • In-Network vs Out-of-Network: A provider network is a list of the doctors, health care providers, and hospitals that an insurance plan contracts with to provide medical care to its members. These providers are called “network providers” or “in-network providers.” A provider that isn't contracted with the plan is called an “out-of-network provider.”

    International Student and Scholar Plans

    Insurance recommendations for international students and scholars are included below.

    Athletic Coverage

    International student athletes and students participating in intramural, elite, or club sports must have an insurance policy that covers athletics. Athletic coverage is not included in all insurance plans and not all sports are covered under all plans, so be sure to choose a plan with the appropriate level of coverage for your particular sport.  NCAA athletes should check with the athletics department to be sure they have sufficient coverage.

  • Family Visitors to the U.S. (B-1/B-2 Visa)

    Family members who are not the children or spouse of the F-1 /J-1 must apply for a B-1/B-2 visitor visa to visit the U.S. Family members from certain countries may be eligible to visit the U.S. for up to 90 days without obtaining a B-1/B-2 visa through the U.S. Department of State Visa Waiver Program.

    Documents Needed to Apply for B-1/B-2 Visa

    The following documents are required to apply for a B-1/B-2 visitor visa:

    Additional Recommended Documents

    To help strengthen your B-1/B-2 visa application, we recommend that you provide additional documents to clarify that the visit is temporary and/or is for a specific occasion (e.g., graduation ceremony), and that the visitor will be supported financially while visiting the U.S. Most importantly, the additional documents should show proof of ties to the home country to prove that the visitor does not intend to immigrate to the U.S. Proof of ties to the home country may include economic, social, family, or other commitments showing that the visitor intends to return home after a temporary stay in the U.S. Examples include:

    • Proof of employment – a letter from the employer indicating that this individual is currently employed and taking time off, but is due back at their job on a specific date.
    • Proof of property ownership – house, apartment, or a business.
    • Proof of contact with other family members in the home country.
    • Proof of finances – bank statement, stocks, property.
    • A formal letter of invitation (written by you as the F-1 student or J-1 exchange visitor) indicating the specific reason for the visit (e.g., graduation, wedding, illness, birth of a child). The letter should include information about the purpose of travel and planned itinerary or schedule. It may also include information about your U.S. immigration status as an F-1 student or J-1 exchange visitor. If you are inviting family members to attend your graduation ceremony, indicate this on the letter. 

    For more information about B-1/B-2 visa denials, refer to the U.S. Department of State Visitor Visas.

    For more information about B-1/B-2 visas, refer to the U.S. Department of State Visitor Visas.


Below you will find additional information that may be helpful to you as an international student. 

  • Student Organizations

    To view a full list of student organizations, view ENGAGE

    Student organizations may focus on academics, social connections, philanthropy/volunteering, or ethnic/cultural groups. 


    The International Student Organization is where you can go to connect with your fellow international students. The ISO brings together domestic and international students to promote the sharing of cultural understanding through social events and charity work. Some of the events included taking camping trips, running fundraisers, painting facemasks, dance or Karaoke sessions, and more.

  • Academic Support Services

    Kutztown University offers comprehensive programs and resources to support students in their academic careers while assisting them in developing the skills to become successful lifelong learners. 

  • Multicultural Center

    What exactly does "multiculturalism" mean? It means the creating, guaranteeing, and encouraging of spaces in which different multicultural communities are able to grow at their own pace. At the same time, multiculturism is a public space in which these communities are able to interact and enrich the existing culture without relinquishing any part of their own culture. The result is the creation of a new community in which they recognize reflections of their own racial or ethnic identity.

    The KU Multicultural Center is a home away from home for students. It's a place to study, meet, learn and socialize. The Center's student workers, graduate assistants and professional staff are caring and welcoming. Programming initiatives include, student leadership activities, cultural and global competencies training, cultural programs, diversity training, a college readiness program, and much more.

  • Housing During Campus Breaks

    The residence halls close for some campus breaks but accommodations can be made available upon request. Limited access to on-campus amenities are offered.

    • Thanksgiving Break Housing
    • Winter Break Housing (additional cost required)
    • Spring Break Housing (additional cost required)
    • Summer Sesion Housing (additional cost required)

    International students interested in remaining on campus during breaks must contact Housing and Residence Life in advance. Email or visit 106 Old Main for more information.

    View the Housing website for information about break housing. 

  • Bear Essentials Pantry / Food Bank

    Food insecurity affects student success in the long-term by impacting learning, grades, graduation time, and more. We are proud to provide students with services like the Bear Essentials Pantry and the Student Food Pantry to address the issue of food insecurity on our campus. If you ever need these services, they are always available to all students. Furthermore, our food pantries are always accepting donations and looking for volunteers if you wish to show your support!