Computer Lab: Main Level, Room 294
The McFarland Student Union's computer lab is located on the main floor in room 294 down the hall from the Bear's Den Coffeehouse, and offers 29 computers each with print capability as well as access to the Adobe and Microsoft Office programs students need to complete class and leisure work.
Building Wide Internet Connections:
Throughout the building, particularly in the Bear's Den Coffeehouse, lounges, and conference spaces, there are numerous communication outlets with data connections for web access. If you have a laptop with an Ethernet card installed, simply plug into the green data outlet and start surfing. It is that simple! Near the communication outlets you can find electrical outlets, to plug in your laptop, charge your cell phone or other electronic devices.
The Student Union also has dozens of wireless access points to make connecting to Wi-Fi fast, reliable, and easy. With your KU login you can access the Bearnet wireless network within the building and on the MSU lawn.
In several of our rooms, there are Extron touch panels that control all audiovisual equipment in the room. With a few simple touches, the user can turn on the projector to show a computer presentation, adjust the volume of the computer sound, and then switch to show a DVD. Other options are available depending on the room. The multimedia lecterns (MML) featured in nearly half the spaces in the MSU incorporate a Windows PC, Blu-ray, and an option to connect a laptop.
Located on the lower level, the Mini-auditorium/Movie Theater is a 28 seat multi-purpose space for meetings, lectures, and webinars. The space may be reserved through the University's EMS reservation system for Mondays through Fridays 8-10 am and 1-11 pm and anytime on weekends. Request a reservation
Located on the mezzanine in the Bears Den is a room set with 6 chairs and a table for group workspace. The room includes a 46 in. LED TV, with laptop or tablet connectivity. The TV does not have cable access it is strictly educational based. The room may be reserved at the information desk.
3 Collaborative Areas:
These mezzanine tech areas come with a projector and a drop screen, plug-in capability for a laptop or tablet, as well as an Ethernet hookup for the internet. The MSU will provide VGA/HDMI cables and a key to unlock the control box. Please drop off your ID at the information desk to sign out the supplies you need.
Carousel Message System
About Carousel TV
The McFarland Student Union's (MSU) Carousel Message System is a network-based video display system that allows service providers and programmers an effective and fast means of communicating with students, faculty, and staff. Carousel allows you to create and preview an electronic message to market particular programs and services that are offered on campus. In addition to messages about upcoming events, a meeting and events directory are updated daily. Each message will be broadcast to five large screen TVs throughout the building where it can be seen by more than 7,000 guests that use the Student Union each day.
- The Student Union Operations Office is the approving authority and clearinghouse for the Carousel message system.
- Messages with no corrections or edits will be approved within one business day. Most messages will be approved the same day if received during business hours.
- The Office of Student Union would appreciate any data or feedback about the system, particularly how it relates to any impact on the services you advertise.
Guidelines for Use
- Users must sign up for an account in the Student Union Operations Office (McFarland Student Union 274). Users will receive an email with their login and password along with instructions on how to use the Carousel system. Two accounts per department are available.
- The use of the Carousel system is for the promotion of services, events, meetings, programs, and special happenings taking place across campus. Only one message per event, promotion, or activity is permitted.
- Messages must be broadcast for a definitive period of time not to exceed two weeks. Open-ended/continuous announcements will not be approved.
- Verbose messages or grammatical errors will be edited or returned for revision before approval is given.
- Message crawls will be managed exclusively by the Student Union Operations Office.
- Request Carousel TV access