Bachelor of Science
Americans love their sports. The sports industry in the U.S. generates more than $200 billion per year, and sports and sports-related businesses depend on a wide variety of professionals to carry out day-to-day operations.
If you enjoy healthy living and don’t see yourself working at a desk for the rest of your life, here’s your chance to turn your passion into a career. This flourishing world of sport and athletics provides multiple options. With a degree in Sport Management, you can start a career in:
- Sport Management: Front office, public relations, ticket operations, brand marketing, equipment management, player personnel, community relations, game-day operations, conference/league administration and college athletics administration.
- Facility Management: Stadium and arena management, facility marketing and promotions, risk management and security.
- Event Management: Event coordination, booking coordination, public relations, media relations, event operations, production coordination, sponsorship and sales management, staffing and personnel management.
- Sport Product Marketing: Marketing and sales, merchandising, account management, product management.
- Sport Tourism: Management and marketing for spectator destinations, participant destinations, and nostalgia destinations.
The Sport Management program is offered by the Department of Sport Management within KU's College of Business.
The program has received specialized accreditation through the Commission on Sport Management Accreditation (COSMA).
As a Sport Management major, you can choose between two specialization tracks:
Coaching & Athletic Administration
The Coaching & Athletic Administration minor is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Coaching Education (NCACE). Professional positions include athletic director, sports information director, compliance coordinator, recruiting coordinator, coach, conference administrator, promotions director, equipment manager, and intramural/recreation director.
Professional opportunities include health club manager, fitness director, personal trainer, or strength/conditioning coach.
Sample Career Options
- Professional Sport Team Management
- Facility Management
- Sport Product Marketing
- Event Management
- Sport Tourism
Career Opportunities in Coaching & Athletic Administration:
- Athletic Director
- Sports Information Director
- Compliance Coordinator
- Recruiting Coordinator
- Conference Administrator
- Promotions Director
- Equipment Manager
- Intramural/Recreation Director
Career Opportunities in the Fitness Industry:
- Health & Fitness Club Manager
- Fitness Director
- Personal Trainer
- Strength & Conditioning Coach
Student Learning Outcomes
BS in Sport Management
- Fundamentals: Demonstrate basic knowledge and understanding of fundamental principles requisite for professional success in the sport management profession.
- Ethical Practices: Demonstrate the ability to make sound ethical decisions in sport management profession.
- Problem Solving: Demonstrate the ability to solve problems inherent in the sport business industry.
- Oral Communication: Demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively in oral formats utilized in the sport management profession.
- Written Communication: Demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively in written formats utilized in the sport management profession.
- Global Scope: Demonstrate the ability to articulate the global scope of sport.