First Semester Student Checklist

Follow these steps if you are a new student and this is your first semester at KU.

Veterans Liaisons are Located in Key Offices

Liaisons are trained to handle military and veteran matters. Contact them directly when you have questions.

KU Veterans Liaisons

Important University Calendar Dates.


Fall Break


Withdraw "W" Period

Final Exams

  • Final exams typically do not fall on the same days as your classes.
  • Check for potential schedule conflicts with military duty and other life events.
  • Final Exam schedule is posted.
Academic Calendar

Certify Your VA Enrollment Monthly

  • Monthly certifications do not apply to VA Chapter 31, 35 or EAP and TA users.
  • Applies to VA Chapters 30, 33 and 1606 Users
  • Certify on the last day of each month during the semester or after 
  • Monthly certification is required to receive VA payment stipend and Kicker
  • There are several certification options:

VA Chapter 30 and 1606 Users

The VA is backlogged, if you received an email from Ms. Peffley indicating your VA benefit has been certified, but the VA system cannot find your record, contact the VA Education Call Center to check status and certify manually.

VA Education Call Center

888-GIBILL-1 (888-442-4551)

Call between 7 a.m. - 6 p.m. Central Time, Monday-Friday


VA Chapter 33/ Post 9-11 GI Bill Users

  • Effective 12/17/21, VA Chapter 33/Post 9-11 GI Bill Users are now required to verify their enrollment at the end of each month to continue receiving their Monthly Housing Allowance (MHA) and/or kicker payments. 
  • Students can verify enrollment via text message or email. VA strongly recommends using text or email, but if these options are unavailable to you, you may call the VA Education Call Center (see above for phone number).
    • OPT into text message verification by contacting the VA Education Call Center.
  • For more information: VA Monthly Enrollment Certification Communication Toolkit

Priority Class Registration.

Students using military benefits can register for classes early.  To participate in early registration:

  • Students must schedule an advisement appointment and meet with their academic advisor before TBA.
  • Advisors must release the Advisor Registration Block on the student's account.
  • Students must check their MyKU account for their early registration appointment date.
  • Students must add their classes to your Shopping Cart and submit on their scheduled registration date.
  • Submit your KU Veterans Services Enrollment Certification Form after you register for your classes.

If a student misses their early registration appointment, they will register at the same time as the remaining student body and are subject to classes being closed.

Dates to be announced

Submit Missing Documents.

All Students

KU Veterans Services Enrollment Certification Form

VA Certificate of Eligibility (COE)

  • VA will mail or email after you are approved for VA benefit

Only Military Members and Veterans

DD Form 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (Member 4 or Service 2 copy ONLY)

  • Obtain from your military files or IPERMS

Only National Guard and Reserve Military Members

DD Form 2384-1, Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE)

  • Obtain from your unit

Only Transfer Students who used military benefits at a previous school

VA Form 22-1995, Request Change of Program, Place or Major

  • Submit online
  • TIP: Completing the form without signing in is faster.

Submit Official Military Transcripts for Evaluation.

Academic credit

  • can be awarded for select military training
  • may be applied to a student's degree plan as general electives (academic department makes final decision)
  • transfers over from American Council on Education (ACE) or Community College of the Air Force (CCAF)

Find your transfer credits in your MyKU account under the KU Academic Services tile.

Request Official Military Transcripts

Military Duty and Obligations.

If military obligations will affect your class attendance, contact our office to determine which policy applies to your situation.

  • Military excused absence
  • Military leave of absence
  • Withdrawal
Military Leave Policies