Temporary Bookstore Account
Students receiving financial aid in excess of their institutional charges (tuition, fees, meals, housing, etc.) may request a bookstore account be established at the KU Campus Store for the purchase of course-required books and supplies.
FALL 2020 Program
- Spring 2020 is closed - the Fall 2020 program will open August 10,2020.
- Spring 2020 Information Sheet
This is a limited program and not intended to cover all bookstore expenses. There are three options available only - $200, $500 and $750. One account, per person, per semester (fall and spring only).
Online requests open 2 weeks before the semester starts and close at the end of Add/Drop. Purchases must be made by the date on the form (a few days after the end of Add/Drop).
To be eligible for a bookstore account:
- The student must be registered for the classes in the semester for which excess financial aid is available
- The student must be current on all university accounts
- All documents and forms necessary for disbursement of funds must be completed, verified and certified (ex., terms and conditions, master promissory note, entrance counseling, etc.)
- The Financial Aid Office must certify that the student has excess funds available to cover the amount selected
- The university has not issued a refund for the excess funds
- The student has Granted Permissions for both Title IV and OTH AID in MyKU (KU Financial Account tile > View Student Permissions option on left)
- ONE request per semester
How will you know the account is ready to use in the KU Campus Store?
- Students should check their Account Activity in MyKU. MyKU > KU Financial Account Tile > Account Activity option on left. If they see the Bookstore Charge on their account activity, they can visit the bookstore. The approximate time frame is 2 business days, so please plan accordingly.
What can I purchase with this limited bookstore account?
- Required text books, rental text books, clickers for attendance, required Art Class supplies, required mechanical calculators, computers (Rental text books will require a valid credit card as well)
- Prohibited items include, but are not limited to Food, clothing, pencils/pens, notebooks, and general office supplies
What exactly is the process for obtaining a bookstore account each semester?
1. Complete the online request form (link above when the program is open).
2. If the request is approved, the Office of Student Accounts will post a Bookstore Charge on MyKU to hold those funds for the purchases you will make.
- If denied, Financial Aid or Student Accounts will email the students KU email to indicate the reason for the denial and if there is action they can take to be approved.
3. The student will go to the KU Campus Store and make purchases up to the account limit or pay the additional amount as needed. If the full account is not used by the semester deadline, the credit for the unused portion will post to the students MyKU accounts within a week after the program closes and either apply to their balance due OR refund on the next refund day in accordance with the university's refund policy. The student will NOT lose money!
**Bookstore accounts created and not used, will see the funds release occur within one week of the completion of the program. If you decide to not use the account, you may cancel the account (48 hours processing time) by notifying the Office of Student Accounts.