Computer Science & Information Technology
"If you have the passion to do something, Kutztown will make it happen."
-Allison Seidel, Computer Science/Information Technology, 2015
"I've come to believe that Kutztown's Computer Science program produces some of the best programmers in the nation if not the world. When I came to Kutztown I had decided that I wanted to write software for a living because I enjoyed it so much. Kutztown delivered on this pretty much immediately. Almost every course involved some kind of programming project (usually several) so I had many opportunities to learn and improve. Professors were pedantic about style and design of the programming assignments so I was forced to learn that too. I left with all the tools I needed to start a career." - James Hasselman, B.S. Computer Science/Software Development '10
The Computer Science MS program has been recognized as one of the top 100 graduate computer science programs in the country by The Financial Engineer, a business tech news entity that refers to themselves as the "leading source of information for all things Wall Street". Our ranking of 93rd puts us as the first in PASSHE and 4th in the state. See the full list at https://tfetimes.com/2016-computer-science-rankings/.
" As a business owner I believe KU's Computer Science & Information Technology Department is the region's best at many levels. The students are smart, prepared and work hard. More important for me is they are consistently willing to learn new skills and receptive to management suggestions. At Liquid, I expect all employees to swim in the deep end of the pool and work as a winning team. I like to create new highly paid technology jobs and KU is where I look to fill them first. Also, I find working with the faculty to be highly productive. They know their students well and work hard to coach them for career success."
- Jim Ludlow, President, Liquid Interactive
ACM's Top 10 Reasons to Major in Computing
Our vision is to provide quality education and professional experiences to empower students in the computing disciplines to attain their professional and academic goals. To provide students with modern curriculum, tools, technology to complete their degrees and to be competitive in the computing fields. To empower students to achieve their goals by establishing and maintaining relationships with faculty, universities and industry. To provide faculty with an environment that fosters growth and development in their specialties.
The mission of the Department of Computer Science at Kutztown University is to:
- Provide students with the highest quality of courses, programs and instruction by regular review and continuous improvement.
- Establish and maintain persistent relationships with industries in order to improve curriculum and cultivate opportunities for students and faculty.
- Provide faculty with consistent opportunities for scholarly growth and professional development.
- Provide and promote opportunities for student research and faculty collaboration.
- Conceive and maintain modern facilities and technologies that are on a par with similar academic organizations.
- Establish and maintain mutually beneficial relationships with other departments and institutions.
- Continue to support the university's initiatives to develop a diverse population.
Graduates of the Computer Science program:
- Are employed in a CS/IT or related industry and/or pursuing graduate study in CS/IT or a related area.
- Are actively engaged in professional development.
The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences offers two separate programs of study for a Bachelor of Science: Computer Science and Information Technology. Minors are also available in both Computer Science/Software Development and Computer Science/Information Technology. The department hosts a robust MS program with three tracks in software development, information technology and Professional Science Masters (PSM), an interdisciplinary professional science curriculum that integrates other disciplines within a CS Master's degree.