Counseling Process

Please note that the information below describes CPS services under regular operating conditions. CPS services have been temporarily modified in light of the COVID-19 pandemic. Please see our homepage for up-to-date information on how to contact CPS counselors for assistance with obtaining mental health services during this time.

The counseling process begins by scheduling an appointment. To do this, you can either:

  • Call or stop by the office to schedule an appointment in advance.
  • "Walk-in" in the event of a crisis or emergency.

Students new to Counseling & Psychological Services are usually scheduled with the first available counselor. This counselor will meet with you for an "initial consultation" to assess your needs and concerns. After your initial interview, if you are eligible for services, you will be assigned to either a counselor or a counseling group.  Individual counseling sessions are short-term and time-limited.  There is no limit to group counseling.

Assignments take into account your needs, concerns, and the times you are available for counseling. You will be contacted about your assignment within one week following your initial consultation.  If it is determined that your needs would be better met off-campus, we will work with you to schedule an appointment with an off-campus provider.


All information and data of Counseling & Psychological Services is confidential and will not be disclosed to any other person or agency without the student's consent, except as required by law and professional ethics. Please request a copy of the CPS Informed Consent Form or ask to speak with a counselor for more information regarding exceptions to confidentiality.


Throughout the academic year, students encounter difficult problems. In many instances, talking to a professional counselor is helpful. Counseling & Psychological Services is available for students who are dealing with a wide variety of personal, interpersonal, and family problems. The following statements are examples of typical counseling concerns:

"I'm so depressed; nothing is going right; I'm not sure I can make it."

"My family member is an alcoholic and there is always fighting at my house."

"The person I am dating gets angry when I talk to other people."

"I feel nervous all the time. I have too much to do, and feel so overwhelmed."

"I'm having a hard time making friends. I don't feel like I fit in, I'm not sure why."

"Something terrible happened to me when I was young. I need to talk to somebody about it."

"I can't seem to get over my mother's death. It's affecting school and everything."

"I've been experiencing prejudice and am unsure how to cope with it."


  • Services are provided at NO ADDITIONAL COST to matriculated, full-time, undergraduate KU students.
  • Services are CONFIDENTIAL.
  • INDIVIDUAL and/or GROUP counseling is available.
  • EMERGENCY services are available.

NOTE: Graduate students seeking non-crisis related services are required to pay the per semester Health and Wellness Center fee.