NASM requirements dictate that all music majors must acquire keyboard competency, and music majors are required to pass the Piano Proficiency Exam before graduation. Music Education majors must pass the Piano Proficiency Exam prior to requesting a Clinical Experience placement.
The Piano Proficiency Exam will be offered each semester during jury week, and students are strongly advised to enroll in class or studio piano as a music elective until the Piano Proficiency Exam is passed.
Bachelor of Arts in Music piano proficiency requirements
- All major and minor scales, two octaves, hands together in parallel motion, performed at a metronome marking of quarter note = 76
- Primary chord progressions in all major and minor keys (I/i, IV/iv, V, I/i)
- Prepared piece from the Piano Proficiency repertoire list or equivalent, as determined by a member of the piano faculty
Bachelor of Science in Music Education piano proficiency requirements
- All major and minor scales, two octaves, hands together in parallel motion, performed at a metronome marking of quarter note = 63, two notes per beat
- Play the I, IV6/4, I, V6/5, I cadence in all major and minor keys
- Harmonize a symbol-free melody at sight, using at least the primary chords
- Play the following patriotic songs from memory: Star Spangled Banner in the keys of Bb and Ab, America the Beautiful in the keys of C and Bb, and America in the keys of F and Eb