Accepted International Students
Now that you have been accepted to Kutztown University, you can follow the next steps to become a Golden Bear.
Pay the Advanced Registration Deposit (ARD)
Pay your non-refundable $275 Advanced Registration Deposit (ARD) as soon as possible to confirm your enrollment in the upcoming semester. After you pay your ARD, the Office of International Admissions & Services will send you the I-20 or DS-2019 application, depending on your student type, which you will need get the document you need to pay the SEVIS I-901 fee and apply for a student visa. You will also begin to receive the pre-orientation emails. Payment of the ARD allows you to apply for on-campus housing.
You can pay the ARD online using the following options:
1) Pay with the currency of your home country using Flywire
2) Pay with U.S. dollars (credit card or eCheck) through your MyKU account:
- Log into MyKU using the password and ID you received in your acceptance letter.
- Choose KU Financial Account.
- Click on "Make a Payment" and proceed with payment for the amount "Now Due."
- If you do not see an amount due in MyKU, please contact the Office of International Admissions & Services.
Please note: a 2.75% fee will be assessed for U.S. credit card payments and a 4.25% fee will be assessed for international credit card payments.
3) Mail a US check or money order payable to Kutztown University:
Kutztown UniversityOffice of Student AccountsP.O. Box 730Kutztown, PA 19530USA
- Make sure the student's full name and ID number are on the check or money order
- Mail to:
Check KU Email
Your KU student email account will be created 24 hours after KU receives your Advanced Registration Deposit. It is the only email that the campus offices will use to communicate with you about housing, billing, and other important information. Access your student email account by clicking the Yellow K YOU button and then Email icon. Your login will be the user ID and password you received by email.
If you have any difficulty signing into your email account, contact Information Technology at +1 610-683-1511 or email@example.com.
Complete Housing Process
All new undergraduate students are required to live in the residence halls for the first two years of study or until they earn 60 credits. A list of exceptions is on the Housing website. Incoming international students with fewer than 30 credits will live in a traditional residence hall. Students with more than 30 credits may live in the suites or apartments on campus.
Check your KU email account for instructions about how to complete the My College Roomie Profile, which will be used to help match you with a roommate prior to your arrival to campus. Housing assignments will be made before the start of the semester.
Questions about housing and residence life should be directed to the Housing, Residence Life and Dining Services Office: +1 610-683-4027, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Submit I-20 or DS-2019 Request and Determine Shipping Method
International students who require an F1 visa to study in the United states must submit an I-20 request form, the required financial documents, and a copy of their passport before we can issue your I-20.
International exchange students who require a J1 visa to study in the United States must submit a DS-2019 request form the required financial documents, and a copy of their passport before we can issue your DS-2019.
You have two shipping options available to receive your I-20 or DS-2019:
Regular Overseas Mail
If you prefer not to pay to have your documents sent by express mail our office can send your I-20 or DS-2019 by regular overseas mail. Overseas mail takes 4-6 weeks. If you want your I-20 sent by regular overseas mail please send an email to email@example.com indicating this is your preferred mailing choice.
Express Mail Shipment
Kutztown University is pleased to make available DHL and Federal Express mailing of initial attendance immigration documents (I-20 or DS-2019) to students overseas that are applying for F or J visas. The Office of International Admissions and Services has partnered with eShip Global, which will allow you to receive your documents through DHL or FedEx.
The DHL and FedEx mailing costs must be paid by credit card (Visa, Mastercard or Discover cards only). To request express mailing of your documents, go to the eShip Global website and sign up for an account. Please make sure that your name matches your passport and select the Office of International Admissions as the sender address. Please enter 12345 in the student ID field. If you have questions about how to use this service, please visit the FAQs section of the eShip Global website or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please pay close attention to the information submitted, as errors in the credit card information or submitting incorrect or incomplete address information will result in a delay of your I-20 or DS-2019 mailing.
- Apply for a Student Visa
Submit Required Health Forms
You will need to provide proof of certain immunizations and health tests prior to your arrival at KU. Watch for an email from Lois Piehel with information about completing the Health and Wellness Center's requirements. These requirements should be completed and submitted for approval two weeks prior to your arrival.
You will also need to have health insurance for your entire stay in the U.S. See the International Student Health Insurance page for specific details.
For questions about the health forms, please contact Health and Wellness Services at +1 610-683-4082, Option 2, Option 2 or email email@example.com.
Review New International Student Orientation Information
All first-time international students are required to attend a mandatory orientation program. Orientation is scheduled the week before classes begin.The tentative orientation schedule will be posted on our website when it becomes available.Please contact the Office of International Admissions & Services if you have questions about orientation.
- Confirm Travel Plans
What to Bring to Campus
You may travel a great distance to get to KU and the U.S. and you might not want to travel with everything you will need at KU. The Office of International Admissions & Services provides several options for you to get the things you will need. You can bring items in your luggage, ship items to the Office of International Admissions & Services before you arrive, or purchase items on the shopping trip planned during orientation.
KU residence halls have a bed, desk, chair, and closet for every student. You must bring or purchase school supplies and any other items you want for your residence hall room.
Items to bring from home
- Travel Documents: Passport, Visa, I-20 or DS-2019, SEVIS I-901 Fee Confirmation of Payment, Financial Documents, KU Acceptance Letter
- Official Health Records: official documentation of vaccines with a physician’s signature, proof of health insurance
- Laptop: If you have your own laptop, you can bring it and use it on campus. There is wired internet access in the residence hall rooms and wireless access in the lounges and campus buildings. You are not required to bring your own computer; there are many computer labs with printers on campus for you to use and some are available 24 hours a day.
- Outlet and Plug Converter: Purchase an electrical outlet and plug converter for the U.S. from your home country to use with any electric device you bring. The U.S. operates on 120 V and has type A and type B electrical plugs.
- Credit Card and U.S. Currency: Plan to have multiple ways to access your money. Bring a credit card in case you have to quickly pay any fees at the Port of Entry or encounter other unexpected expenses. We also recommend that you travel with at least $100 of U.S. currency to use in places where credit cards are not accepted.
- Medical and Personal Items: Bring any medications you use every day, glasses, and/or contact lenses. Also consider bringing any medication you would take to relieve pain or a minor cold or illness, in case you happen to get sick before the first week of class when the Health and Wellness Center is open regularly.
- International Driver’s License: If you plan to drive a car while in the U.S., you should get an international driver’s license in your home country prior to travelling to KU. International driver’s licenses are valid for one year. You may apply for a Pennsylvania State Driver’s License after you arrive if you will study at KU for at least one year.
We encourage students to purchase linens from our partner, Residence Hall Linens, and have them shipped to our office prior to arriving at KU.
If you would like to ship items to KU before you arrive, please let the Office of International Admissions & Services know. You may send items to the below address:
SHIPPING ADDRESS (please label all boxes with your full name):
Office of International Admissions & Services
15200 Kutztown Road
Kutztown, PA 19530
You will be responsible for traveling with the proper documents and should consider bringing a few other items from home. Visit the Housing & Residence Life Office website to find additional information on what to bring to campus, as well as a list of prohibited items.
Plan Payment of Tuition and Fees
Invoices are sent to the KU student email account in mid-July for fall and mid-December for spring. Payments are due around August 1 for fall and January 2 for spring. You will receive an invoice after you receive a course schedule. Check your email and pay your tuition and fees on time. You can view your invoice and pay by credit card or an electronic check from a U.S. bank in MyKU. You can pay by cash or check in person at the Office of Student Accounts.You can pay your KU bill using the currency of your home country through Flywire. For specific payment options and instructions, visit the Office of Student Accounts website.
We look forward to meeting you. Please contact us if you have any questions about the steps you must take before you arrive.