Specialty Housing Options
Kutztown University offers a variety of specialized housing options that are built to enhance academic and social learning of our students outside of the classroom.
The Housing Office partners with many other offices on campus to provide students with unique living options. Some of those partnerships include:
- A partnership with the Residence Life office to accommodate Special Interest Housing and Living Learning Communities for our new students.
- A partnership with the GLBTQ Resource Center to provide Gender Inclusive Housing to our current and new students.
- A partnership with the Honors Program to provide Honors Community housing to our current and new students.
- A partnership with Athletics to provide housing assignments with teams for our incoming students.
- A partnership with the Disability Services Office to accommodate our students with special needs and specific housing accommodations.
More information about the Special Interest Housing options provided on-campus can be found below.
Living Learning Communities and Special Interest Housing
The Housing Office works with Residence Life to do room assignments for various Living Learning Communities and Special Interest Groups. For questions about housing or the assignment process for a particular community, please be sure to speak with the Residence Life Office.
Instructions for Applying for an LLC\Special Interest Group:
- Students who are interested in becoming a member of a community must fill out a Special Interest Community Application by May 1.
- The application can be found under the Forms and Applications tab on the mykuhousing.kutztown.edu portal.
- Students should only select one community from the drop down menu.
- Students will be contacted in June as it relates to their acceptance into the community and their housing assignment.
Gender Inclusive Housing
The Housing Office provides Gender Inclusive Housing to support students who need or request accommodations due to gender identity/expression. Kutztown University understands that single-gender housing may not be comfortable for all students. Knowing this, we have established areas and a procedure for students to arrange housing that addresses this need. Students selecting Gender Inclusive Housing will be permitted to have roommates, suitemates or apartment mates from across the gender spectrum. Kutztown University believes that it is important, as our housing options evolve, to meet the needs of all students and to create an inclusive, welcoming environment.
Like most institutions, Kutztown University discourages students of any sexual orientation who are in a relationship from living together. The department does not question the students' motives for wanting to live in Gender Inclusive Housing. It is important that students understand relationship challenges or break-ups can pose significant housing conflicts and new accommodations cannot be guaranteed. Roommates, suitemates or apartment mates must be mutually requested and prearranged with The Housing Office through our online roommate selection software, My College Roomie. If a roommate, suitemate or apartment mate cancels their housing or moves out of the room for any reason, the remaining roommate(s) must identify a new roommate to fill the vacancy. The Housing Office will define the time allocated to find a new roommate. This window will depend on the time of year and the waiting list for housing. Typically a resident will be allowed 48 hours, but not more than three days to identify another eligible roommate. After that time, The Housing Office reserves the right to assign an interested student to the vacancy or relocate the remaining residents to another vacancy; Gender Inclusive Housing, traditional hall, suite or apartment housing cannot be guaranteed.
Gender Inclusive Housing Options
Kutztown University provides limited locations and room options for Gender Inclusive Housing: Traditional Halls - double rooms (two students to a room) in Schuylkill Hall. Suites - Single room only suites (four person units in University Place and two person units in Dixon Hall). Apartments - Single room only apartments (four person apartments in Golden Bear Village South).
Gender Inclusive Housing Selection Process for Returning Students:
- To be eligible for this process, students must have completed their Housing Application including the Housing Processing Fee payment. This process typically occurs early in the preceding spring semester.
- You can only participate as a group of 2 or 4. You cannot participate by yourself in this process.
- If one or more of your group members are not able to attend, they may assign a proxy from their group members to select for them. Pick up a PROXY FORM before February 8, 2019 at the Housing Office in 106 Old Main. You MUST have the PROXY FORM with you when you attend one of the Gender Inclusive dates.
- The following will be available during Gender Inclusive room selection dates:
- Eight 2 person Schuylkill Hall double rooms (you need a group of 2)
- Fifteen 2 person Dixon singles suites (you need a group of 2)
- Three 4 person Dixon double suites (you need a group of 4)
- Twelve 4 person University singles (you need a group of 4)
- Three 5 person Golden Bear South apartments (you need a group of 5)
- Sixteen 4 person Golden Bear South singles apartments (you need a group of 4)
Gender Inclusive Housing Selection Process for New Students:
- First Year roommates must be mutually requested and prearranged with The Housing Office through our online roommate selection process, My College Roomie.
- Students should then reach out to our office, via email@example.com, to request housing in our gender inclusive option, traditional residence hall.
- Suite and apartments will not be available for first year students.
Honors Student Housing
The Housing office works with both the Honors Program and Residence Life to complete room assignments for students in the KU Honors Program. First Year Honors students living on campus will be assigned to the Honors floor in Rothermel Hall-one of our newly renovated traditional residence halls. Upperclassmen have an option to reside in apartment-style living in the Honors Building. All Honors students must be referred in writing by the Honors office to the Housing & Dining Services Office for assignment consideration.
The Housing Office works with the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics to do room assignments for various athletic teams on campus. For questions about housing or the assignment process for a particular team, please be sure to speak with your coach.
Accomodations for Students with Special Needs or Housing Accomodations
Housing & Dining Services is committed to working with students and their providers to offer reasonable accommodations for students who have documented and specific accommodation needs. Students with special accommodation needs are still responsible for completing a Housing Application Process, where applicable.
Students with special housing and dining needs MUST contact the Disability Services office at (610) 683-4108 or www.kutztown.edu/DSO as soon as possible. Requests for housing accommodations should be made as soon as the Advanced Registration Deposit (ARD) has been paid.
If your accommodation is approved, Disability Services Office will send a referral to Housing & Dining Services on your behalf. If the request cannot be honored for the upcoming semester, the student will be put on a waiting list for consideration as openings occur.