KU’s OIT Cyber Security Team works to protect the sensitive information of KU students, faculty, and staff. You play a role in protecting your information. Review the resources below.
- Never share sensitive data or passwords.
- Do not open email attachments, or click on links, from sources you do not trust.
- Back up your devices regularly.
- Keep your browser and operating software up-to-date.
- Longer passwords are stronger passwords. We recommend at least 8 characters. See below for more information.
- Use two-step authentication (2SA). See below for more information.
- Store passwords in a secure and encrypted environment, such as a password manager app.
- Be smart with your smartphone. Enable secure access and have a password, pattern, or biometrics to unlock your screen.
- Beware of location tracking in your device.
- Regularly review social media privacy settings to know who can see your information and posts.
- Faculty/Staff should use a VPN to connect to the KU network when off campus. Do not access sensitive information over public WiFi. See our VPN page for more information.
Comprehensive Information Security Program
As part of the ongoing security improvements at Kutztown University, Two-Step Authentication (2SA) will be required for software that requires SSO login, including VPN access. Two-Step authentication adds a second layer of security to your online accounts.
Two-step authentication for Students
Two-Step Authentication (2SA) is required for all students when accessing Office 365, including email. To enable 2SA on your KU account, begin by enrolling a device. Our IT Solutions Center article illustrates how to utilize a smartphone with the Microsoft Authenticator App, KU’s recommended method.
Two-step authentication for Faculty and Staff
Verifying your identity using DUO 2SA prevents anyone but you from logging into your account, even if they know your password. Please review the instructions in our Solutions Center article and have your DUO 2-Step Authentication device available when logging in. For instructions on how to utilize DUO 2SA with VPN please see our Solutions Center article for more information.
No mobile device? See our Soultions Center article for more information.
Passwords: best practices and requirements
When creating a strong password or passphrase, consider the following to make it both secure and easy to remember.
- A strong password must contain at least 8 characters and have 3 of the 4 of the following criteria:
- Upper case letter
- Lower case letter
- Special character (*&%$)
- Avoid common phrases, lyrics, or quotations; these can be easy for a hacker to guess.
- You can create an acronym from the letters of the words in a phrase or quotation that is memorable to you.