FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions

Do I have to have an undergraduate degree in Psychology, Education or any specific undergraduate degree to apply?   It is  not a requirement to have an Undergraduate Degree in Psychology or Education or any specific undergraduate degree to apply.  It is also not a requirement to have a specific number of courses/credits in Psychology or Education.

Will any of my undergraduate psychology courses apply to my master's degree?  No, Undergraduate credits do not apply to a Master's degree. 

What time are classes?  During regular semesters (Fall/Spring), most classes are offered from 5 p.m. to 7:50 p.m. Monday through Thursday.  Schedule varies in the summer. 

How many years does it take to complete the program?  Full-time enrollment at the Graduate level is 9 credits/semester.  It typically takes students who attend full-time 3 years including summer courses.  

What is the maximum number of years I have to complete the program?  Students normally complete the program within 8 years.  If a student is reaching the 8-year mark and has not completed the program, they may apply to the Graduate Exceptions Committee for an extension.

Will I be able to work while attending?   Many of our students do work while completing their graduate degree; however, it does become quite challenging during field work when you have to be at your site two/three days a week and take courses.  

Can I receive Financial Aid?  If seeking financial aid, please check with the Financial Aid Department prior to planning your course of study.

Can I complete one of your master's degrees with online courses?  No.  The KU program values interaction, discourse and requires students to demonstrate the development of their counseling skills.  However, a few select courses are offered online.

What if I am unable to attend the new student orientation?  Student Orientation is a mandatory meeting and all accepted students are expected to attend.

Do I have to use my KU email address or can I use my personal email address for messages sent to the university?  KU email is a requirement.  Off-campus emails are often sent to SPAM. 

How do I apply for a Graduate Assistantship?  Graduate Assistantships are competitive and hiring is at the discretion of the various departments across campus. Information on Graduate Assistantships is available at the Graduate Studies Office.   Information on Graduate Assistantships.

How many students are accepted to the program?  Students are accepted based on the information provided in their application.  The number of students accepted varies from year to year.

What courses should I take first?   General advice is to begin with Core I courses.  Core I courses will be needed to be completed prior to Practicum.   A student should follow the curriculum check sheet for their particular program.   View the check sheets.

Why are some classes only half a semester?  A class that meets for one half of the semester is termed a hybrid course.  " Hybrid" or "Blended" are names commonly used to describe  courses in which some traditional face-to-face "seat time" has been replaced by online learning activities. The purpose of a  hybrid course is to take advantage of the best features of both face-to-face and online learning.  

What is the typical class size?   Our class sizes range from 6 to 12 for Practicum/Internship classes and 12 to 20 for core classes. 

Does life experience and/or my job count toward credits and/or internship hours?   Life and job experience cannot be counted towards credit and/or internship hours.  All Practicum and Internship hours must be done under the supervision of a KU faculty member.

What is the difference between School Counseling Certification program and the School Counseling Certification/licensure program?  School Counseling Certification is granted by the Pennsylvania Department of Education.  Graduates of the Certification only program will be eligible to apply to PDE for the PreK-12 School Counselor Certification.  Graduates of the Certification/Licensure program will be eligible to apply to PDE for the PreK-12 School Counselor Certification and will have met the educational requirements of the PA State Board of Social Workers, Marriage and Family Therapists and Professional Counselors for the Licensed Professional Counselor credential.     

What PSY courses are being offered next semester?  Offerings in Psychology are determined by the Psychology Department. 

What if I want to do a Practicum or Internship at a site that is not on the approved Practicum/Internship site list?  Provide a comprehensive description of the site and all the site contact information to your program's Clinical Coordinator. The Clinical Coordinator will work with the Department Chair to process the request to establish an agreement with this site. 

Are there waiting lists for classes that are full?  COU does not have waiting lists for classes that are full. We recommend that students continue to check MyKU.  Students drop and add classes frequently before the semester.  This can - at times - create an open seat for another student.   

Can COU professors allow additional students into their classes once the class number has reached its maximum?   While we'd love to allow you to take the class you desire it is extremely unusual to make an override exception.  These types of exceptions are almost exclusively made only for students for whom the class in question stands between them and graduation.  We have this policy because we know its important for student learning to keep class sizes as small as possible and we work hard with the administration to do that.