What Are They Doing?
Our graduates have entered a number of professions and been admitted to excellent graduate programs throughout the country and abroad.
- Robert Angelini was recently discharged as a Sergeant in the US Army, where he worked in intelligence and completed a Master’s Degree in Public Administration. Now he is pursuing a doctorate.
- Michael Barkasi completed both an M.A. and Ph.D. at Rice University with full funding. After teaching a few years as a philosophy professor (including a year at KU) and racing track bikes at the Valley Preferred Cycling Center in Trexlertown, PA, he is now a postdoctoral research fellow at the University of Toronto for the 2018-19 and 2019-20 academic years.
“Overall, the philosophy department offered many advantages not found in many other places at Kutztown. The faculty is made up not only of active scholars from some of the best schools in the country, but also of those willing to work personally with students outside the classroom. The department also offered a range of research opportunities and guidance in conference submissions and publications, that and the aforementioned being invaluable when looking to pursue graduate studies in philosophy.”
- Vanessa Carretta went to law school.
- Charles Cieri was a reporter and blogger in Philadelphia and is now a master furniture maker.
- Stephen Conroy entered a Swedenborg seminary.
- Milo Crimi is writing his dissertation on medieval phi at UCLA. He has full funding.
- Gregory Deck received a Master's at Edinburgh [Scotland] in Philosophy. He is now a translator in Madrid.
- Lauren Derstine is a chef in NYC.
- Robert DeVall, Jr. works in business in the Kutztown area.
- Jenn Dum is in a graduate program in philosophy at SUNY Binghampton.
- Andrew Dorman is an activist in Allentown.
“Philosophy provides a mental grasp on focusing beyond mere opinion. It also instructs one to be analytical when facts don’t explain enough. It’s an important branch of study for anyone who requires a procedure on revealing the truth to the best of one’s ability. I’ve found it very useful in the course of my endeavors.”
- Andrew Earley was in a City University of New York Ph.D. program with full fellowship.
- Isaac Earley works in a restaurant and just recorded an album.
- Jason Earley works as an Internet Technician.
- Sara Earley began a Ph.D. program in biology/xenobiology at the University of Colorado with full funding; she transferred to University of Rochester/Syracuse.
- Vadim Fedorovsky went to the MA program at Texas Tech University with full funding.
- Lisa Ferrell works for the State of Pennsylvania on Labor claims.
- Jason Fetherolf recently graduated from Biblical Seminary with an MA in Missional Theology.
“The Philosophy Department at Kutztown is filled with outstanding professors who are passionate and gifted in their subjects with each professor valuing a close relationship with students. I had the privilege to attend an assortment of classes. Their Religious Studies concentration was concrete, both vast and specific, focusing on all the current topics in religion which prepared me to be a well-rounded Seminary student. I owe many thanks to the Philosophy Department at Kutztown University.”
- Sarah Graham is a curator at the Museum of Modern Art in New York.
- Colleen Fitzgerald completed an MA program in English at Lehigh University, with full funding, and an M.S. in Public Administration at Kutztown University.
- Adam Gazdalski is completing his Master’s in Elementary Education at Kutztown University.
- Jeremy Henry is in a Ph.D. program at Washington University in St. Louis.
- Stephen Hoffert enrolled in a University of Cincinnati Ph.D. program, with funding, and is now an executive with Titanium Metals in Reading.
- Keyana Kern works at a ski resort in Colorado.
- Leah Jones is in a graduate program in Political Science at Kutztown University.
- Sarah Leeper is a Social Security Administrator in Wisconsin.
- James Lynn owns a computer consulting company.
- Cody Mayak lives in Massachusetts and is planning on going to graduate school to study Philosophy.
- Michael Miller works in veterans’ administration.
- Lori Moyer is in business in Hamburg.
- Jason Mugridge was a partner in Ernst and Yong accounting but has now joined a Swiss firm.
- Gregory Ogden works in childcare in Allentown.
- Joshua Palubinsky works for Met-Ed in Reading.
- James Pearson works in organic farming.
“The Kutztown Philosophy Department has been of great value to my life. It has provided me with the ability to think critically about problems and learn new skills quickly. Not only has it helped me with problem-solving skills, it has allowed me to better understand what exactly the problem is and then think of new ways to solve it.”
- Christina Rawls received an M.A. in philosophy at West Chester University and a Ph.D. at Duquesne University. She now is a philosophy professor at Roger Williams University in Rhode Island.
- Matthew Reffie studied at a Lutheran seminary and was in campus ministry at Kutztown University. He now has an internet business.
- Lamont Rodgers received an MA philosophy from Texas Tech and a Ph.D. program at Florida State University. He now is a professor of philosophy at Central Florida University.
- Travis Rodgers received an MA in philosophy at the University of Houston and a Ph.D. at Tulane. He is a philosophy professor in Houston.
“My experiences in Kutztown’s philosophy department have allowed me to be competitive in the field with students who had attended schools with more prestigious names. This is due in large part to the fact that I was able to receive hands-on, personalized attention that would have been unavailable in larger departments. Along with being greatly attentive, the faculty was also skilled at pedagogy and at preparing students for success by encouraging a thoroughgoing work ethic.”
- Jonathan Sandman is in the US army where he was recently promoted.
- Peter Secor received an M. Div. at General Theological Seminary and is a master jeweler at Harry Winston.
- Curtis Sharpe received an MA in philosophy at Texas Tech and is now in a Ph.D. program in philosophy at the University of Rochester.
- John Shryock studied to be a Capuchin friar at St. Joseph Seminary and lives and works in Harlem. He now is Brother Jerome.
- Carl Slepetz toured Europe in a heavy metal band and is now a criminal psychologist working for the Pennsylvania penal system.
- Deanna Smith completed an MA in Philosophy at Texas Tech and teaches full time at Lehigh Carbon Community College.
- Joseph Smith received an MA in religious studies and is in a Ph.D. philosophy at the University of Illinois Urbana with full funding.
- Josh Steinberg was awarded a Fulbright to teach English in Berlin and is now in a graduate program at Texas Tech.
- Phoenix Strouse is in business in Philadelphia.
- Matthew Szundy runs a mountaineering expedition business.
- Joshua Wagner works at Avogadro Environmental Corporation.
- Paul Wigerman is in Pennsylvania Civil Service.
- Jay Winkleman works in IT and plays in Symbols of Sanity.
- Amanda Winkler is an executive at AT&T.
- Zach Groff sells medical supplies.