Social Work Sustainable Lending Library
The Department of Social Work is working to develop a Sustainable Lending Library that will facilitate access to educational materials/resources throughout social work students’ educational career. The library will be operated through the department and provide a lending service of essential educational materials to our students. Our initial fundraising goal is $ 55,000. The tentative initiation date for the fund is Spring 2021.
- Students consistently rely on textbooks available through limited physical reserves at the library.
- Lack of access to all required textbooks and other educational resources has been found to significantly decrease academic performance (McKenzie,2017).
- Many students struggle to afford textbooks and other educational materials due to basic need insecurity and affordability issues. (Whitford, 2018).
I work three jobs, while taking six classes at Kutztown. However, this workload still fails to give me the luxury of being able to comfortably afford textbooks that often summate to $500 a semester. I use textbooks from the library when I can, but unfortunately some professors require you to bring the textbook to class or the library's book isn't always available. Therefore, it's a great challenge to rely on loaning books opposed to buying them.MARSHAE BATCHELOR, BSW S STUDENT
Your Contribution in Action
- Your $ 50-150 donation could assist one student with one textbook
- Your $ 950 donation could assist one student with textbooks through their entire BSW education
- Your $ 1,500-3,750 donation could support textbooks for an entire course.
- Donate what you can!