Frequently Asked Questions

Avalanche the golden bear, sitting down and posing with his hand on his chin on the stairs next to the Alumni Plaza fountain

Below are questions frequently asked by students, click the arrow next to the question to see the answer. If you have further questions or need more information please feel free to contact us at (610) 683-4485 or

  • How can I change my major, add a minor, or change my advisor?

    In order to change your major you will need to meet with the department of your new major. Certain departments have special criteria that must be satisfied before the change can be approved.

    In order to add a minor you will need to meet with the department of the minor and fill out a change/add form.

    In order to change your advisor you will need to meet with the department and request an advisor change. You may have the ability to request who you would like your new advisor to be however it is not guaranteed.

    These changes become effective once all paperwork has been completed, the appropriate signatures have been obtained, and the request is received and processed by the Registrar’s Office.

  • How can I change my name?

    Legal Name – You can change your legal name by completing the name change form and providing a copy of the legal documentation. (Marriage Certificate, Divorce Decree, Court Order)

    Preferred Name – You can change your preferred name by completing the Preferred Name Change Form. (This name will be reflected in MyKU, Email, and ID card) This does not change your legal name, your transcript will still display your legal name.

  • How can I raise my GPA?

    You can repeat courses in which you did not pass or you feel you could earn a better grade. (Note: Repeating passed courses does not count toward academic progress for financial aid)

    You can also use the summer and winter session to repeat classes or take other classes to help raise your GPA.

    There is the Center for Academic Success and Achievement (CASA) on campus which provides academic help and tutors for students.

  • How do I get a Verification of Enrollment?

    This document is typically needed for insurance, discounts, scholarships, etc.

    Students who need an enrollment verification should logon to their MyKU account and click on the link for "Enrollment Verification" under the Academic Services Tiles. This is a free service provided by Kutztown University through the National Student Clearinghouse. You may print off the enrollment verification which is considered an official copy of your enrollment at KU.

    You can also request one by completing the verification of enrollment form found here. This service takes approximately 72 hours to be processed.

    When can you get an Enrollment Verification Certificate?

    • Previous and current semesters are always available
    • Future Spring and Fall Semesters are available approximately three weeks before the term begins.
    • Summer Session enrollment is sent after the session ends.

    If your computer has 'pop-up blockers' enabled the certificate cannot be viewed. Make sure the 'pop-up blockers' are disabled before generating a certificate.

  • How many times can I repeat a course?


    You will be limited to a total of 6 overall repeats while at Kutztown University. A single course can be taken a maximum of 3 times and the most recent grade (regardless of whether it is higher or lower) will be the grade used for GPA calculations.


    You can repeat a single course for graduate improvement only once. You are limited to a maximum of 2 repeats across the program. The most recent grade (regardless of whether it is higher or lower) will be used for GPA calculations.

  • I am an International Student and my citizenship status changed?

    The following information applies to international students who have had a change in their citizenship status after acceptance to Kutztown University.

    Students must come to the Office of the Registrar to begin the process.

    Please complete the Change of Citizenship Status Form and bring the completed form along with two of the following:

    1. Permanent Residency Card

    2. Social Security Card

    3. Tax ID number

    If applicable, students may need to go to the Financial and Business Services Department to declare residency.

  • I need to take a leave of absence from school, what should I do?

    You have until the end of the 12th week of classes to request a leave of absence. A leave of absence can be granted as long as you are in good academic standing (GPA 2.00+) with the university. In order to request a leave of absence, you must complete the withdrawal/leave of absence form in the Registrar’s Office. A leave of absence may be granted for one semester with the possibility of renewal for a consecutive semester.

    Leave of Absence Form 

  • I received an incomplete grade, now what?

    An incomplete grade can be awarded to those who have not satisfied all course requirements prior to the end of the term. If the Incomplete grade is not completed within the time frame the grade will turn to an “F”.


    You have 10 weeks into the next semester (Fall/Spring) to complete your course work.


    You have 1 year from the time the incomplete grade is assigned to complete your course work.

  • I started at Kutztown before 2018, how do I select my general education requirements?

    Fall 2018 General Education

    Students who started at KU before Fall 2018 have an opportunity to switch to the 2018 program to complete their degree.

    How can I learn the details about the 2018 General Education requirements?
    Refer to the KU General Education website 

    Where can I make the General Education Selection in MyKU?
    ·         Log into your student center (MyKU)
    ·         Click on the navigation for Ku Academic Services
    ·         Click on General Education Selection on the left sidebar
    How can I decide which general education requirements to follow?
    Refer to these instructions to learn how to understand a degree audit and for instructions to compare degree audits to make an informative decision.

    What should I consider if I switch to the 2018 program?
    ·         FYS requirement is waived
    ·         If you are working on two majors, only one Gen. Ed. is required

    When will the 2018 program take effect for me if I choose to switch?
    If you choose to switch, the 2018 program will take effect before the beginning of the Fall 2019 semester.

    What if I choose not to switch?
    You will remain on the gen ed you were following when you started attending at KU. You are not required to make a change.

    Who should I contact if I'm unsure about my decision?
    If you are uncertain about the decision you made, discuss options with your advisor before making a final decision.

  • I want to take a course off campus, what do I need to do?

    You will need to complete a permit to study form and get it approved prior to taking the course. You will need to use the transfer course evaluator to review what the courses will transfer back as and it will also assist you in completing the table on the form. In order for the course to transfer back to Kutztown you must receive a grade of “C-“ or higher. The grade you receive in the course will not be counted toward your grade point average (GPA). Business students wishing to take a business core course at another university you will need to have approval from the Dean of the College of Business. Elementary Education students will need approval for all courses from their Dean.

    Permit to Study PDF 

    Once you have completed the course, you will need to send an official transcript from the college or university back to Kutztown to receive credit. 

    Submit your transcripts to:

    Kutztown University
    Registrar's Office
    PO Box 730
    Kutztown, PA 19530-0730

  • I want to withdraw from the university, what do I need to do?

    You will need to complete and submit the university withdrawal form to the Registrar’s Office. The form must have a handwritten signature in order to be considered official. The date that the form is received by the Registrar’s Office will be the effective date of the withdrawal. You have until the end of the 12th week to withdraw from the university, and receive “W” grades, after the 12th week a university withdrawal will not be granted.  Please note that failure to complete the withdrawal process may result in failing grades.

    Withdraw Form PDF

  • What do I need to do to register for next semester?

    1. Make an appointment to see your advisor to select your semester courses.
    2. Your advisor will remove your "Advisor Registration Block" upon the conclusion of your advising appointment.
    3. Access MyKU. 
    4. On your Enrollment Information Tile, click on 'Enrollment Information'.
    5. If you have an enrollment appointment, it will appear in this box. An enrollment appointment is the time period in which you can enroll for a particular term prior to the open enrollment period.
    6. If you have any holds, the Holds count will be greater than 0 on the KU Tasks Tile.  You will need to contact the appropriate office to clear the hold before registering. You should also note the date and time at which you can register. We have assigned different time slots for students according to credits completed. 
  • What to do when you readmit?

    If you wish to return to Kutztown University, you will need to complete a Readmission Application. There is no application fee or deposit.  Please be sure to answer all the questions.

     Students are readmitted into their previous major. If you wish to declare a new major, please contact the academic department of the new major once you have been readmitted to the University by the Registrar’s Office.

     If you have any questions, please contact Miriam Carlance at .

  • What type of transcript do I need?


    Printed on official paper, in a sealed and officially stamped envelope. Typically used for: employment, transferring, verifications of enrollment, military etc.

                - Can be sent electronically


    Printed on plain white paper with KU letterhead, in a plain envelope. Typically used for student use only, can be printed through the student center on MyKU.

  • When can I add and drop a course?

    Add/Drop period begins the first day of the regular, 15 week Fall or Spring semester. The Add/drop period provides students with one full week plus the weekend to add or drop courses without receiving a "W" grade. Classes dropped during this period will not appear on a student's transcript. (Please note that add/drop for Summer and Winter semesters will differ from the period indicated above. Please see the Academic Calendar on the Registrar's Office Homepage for details.) 

    Students can make these adjustments themselves through MyKU, below are links to instructions on how to add or drop a class.

    Add a Class
    Drop a Class

  • Where can I go if I need help with my classes or am struggling with college?