May 5, 2023
Employer Relations at KU
The Career Development Center hosted an Employer Partners Breakfast on Wednesday, May 3 with remarks from President Hawkinson, a Gen Z presentation by Dr. Thomas N. Robinson III, and the opportunity to network with KU faculty, Extended Learning, Graduate Admissions and Alumni Engagement.
Kerri Gardi, Career Development Center
Communication Studies Student Awards
On Wednesday, May 3, the Department of Communication Studies presented the following awards:
- Outstanding Senior in Communication Studies for Academic Excellence: Avery Meiners, Perkasie, Pa.
- Outstanding Achievement for a Senior in Communication Studies: Lauren Jackson, Stafford, Va., Kyle Golden, Hellertown, Pa. and Wioletta Zieba, Bethlehem, Pa.
- Outstanding Senior in Communication Studies for Dedication and Service: Wesley Butler, Reading, Pa.
- Outstanding Senior in Social Media Theory & Strategy for Academic Excellence: Kayla Sherry, Tamaqua, Pa.
- Outstanding Achievement for a Senior in Social Media Theory & Strategy: Chloe Krempasky, Schnecksville, Pa., Emily Lynch, Fallsington, Pa., Emily Sewilo, Schnecksville, Pa. and Maggie Strawoet, Mercersburg, Pa.
- Outstanding Senior in Social Media Theory & Strategy for Dedication and Service:
Kaitlin Bilger, Macungie, Pa.
Congratulations to our communication studies seniors.
Emily Cripe, Department of Communication Studies
Weather forecasts are provided by KU's Dr. Michael Davis and "Monsoon Mike" Regensburger
Coastal low will move to the east during the day. The low will still influence our weather as showers are possible. High temperature near 63.
May Parents and Family Bulletin
This month’s edition of the KU Parents and Family Bulletin has been sent to registered subscribers and can be found online.
Reception for Dr. Ed "Doc" Simpson
The most senior member of the KU faculty will soon enter phased retirement, and before he disappears like the dinosaurs, we hope the KU community will join the department in celebrating Dr. Simpson's KU career. He's been here for decades but he still doesn't read the Daily Brief, so you need not worry that this announcement will ruin the surprise. Please stop by to enjoy some light refreshments and offer your congratulations, convey your well wishes, offer a few words of wisdom or share a story. We'll gather 1-3 p.m. Thursday, May 11, first floor Boehm lobby.
Caecilia Holt, Physical Sciences
Finals Week Hours
Student Recreation Center:
- 6 a.m. to 11 p.m. Monday, May 8 through Wednesday, May 10
- 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. Thursday, May 11
- 6 a.m. to 2 p.m Friday, May 12
- Closed Saturday and Sunday, May 13 and 14
- Monday, May 15: Summer hours 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Friday
Keystone Hall Swimming Pool
- 8–9 a.m., noon to 1 p.m., 6-7 p.m. and 9–10:30 p.m. Monday, May 8
- 8-9 a.m. and 9–10:30 p.m. Tuesday, May 9
- 8–9 a.m., noon to 1 p.m., 6–7 p.m. and 9–10:30 p.m. Wednesday, May 10
- 8–9 a.m. and 6–7 p.m. Thursday, May 11
- 8–9 a.m. and noon to 1 p.m. Friday, May 12
- Closed for the summer Saturday, May 13 through Saturday, Aug. 26
Tracy Turner, Rec Center
CS and IT Department Academic Award Recipients
Congratulations to the following Department of Computer Science and Information Technology students on receiving the department’s 2022–2023 Graduation Award for Academic Excellence:
– Atom Roese, B.S. Computer Science
– Spencer Paukstis, B.S. Information Technology
– Luis Feliz, B.S. Game Development
– Nathan Zolna, M.S. Computer Science (Combined B.S.)
Cynthia Sutjak, Department of Computer Science and Information Technology
Sheryl McKlveen Dissertation Defense
Kutztown University College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, Department of Social Work, is pleased to announce that Sheryl McKlveen, MSW, LSW, will be defending her Doctor of Social Work dissertation “Social Work Best Practices in Schools: Effect of Family-Focused Case Management on Rural School Students’ Success” 1 p.m. Tuesday, May 9. Dissertation Chair: Dr. John Vafeas.
Sharon Lyter, Department of Social Work
|May 5||11 a.m.||Geography Lecture: Jana Houser
260 Boehm Science Center
|May 5||7:30 p.m.||KU Orchestra and Reading Choral Society
|May 8||1 p.m.||Slack & Zimmerman Retirement Celebration
Old Main lobby
|May 9||10 a.m.||CEL Advisory Board
6 Rohrbach Library
|May 10||All Day||Period Product Drive
|May 11||11 a.m.||Free Employee Planetarium Show
Grim Science Building
|May 11||1 p.m.||Surprise Retirement Reception: Simpson
Boehm Science Center
|May 5||Noon||Baseball vs. West Chester (DH) (Senior Day)
North Campus Field (Live Stats | Video)
Persons with a disability, and who require accommodation, should notify the Disability Services Office two weeks prior to the event at 610-683-4108 or email DSO@kutztown.edu, TDD number: 610-683-4499, in order to discuss accommodations. Every effort will be made to provide reasonable accommodations. Please note: Kutztown University does not provide wheelchairs or other mobility devices.
Kutztown University does not discriminate in employment or educational opportunities on the basis of sex, race, ethnicity, national origin, age, disability, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or veteran status. To discuss a complaint of discrimination, please contact the University’s Title IX Coordinator located in the Office of Social Equity, Old Main A-Wing, Room 02, by phone at 610-683-4700 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or the Office for Civil Rights located in the Lyndon Baines Johnson Department of Education Bldg., 400 Maryland Avenue, SW, Washington, DC 20202-1100, by phone at 800-421-3481 (TDD: 800-877-8339), by fax at 202-453-6012, or by email at OCR@ed.gov.